Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentine's Day is So Special!

If you know me just a little, you'd probably know that the title is completely sarcastic. I think it's sweet that couples dedicate a day to each other, giving gifts to show their love. I guess the problem I have with it is that all too often, people forget about their significant other the majority of the remainder of the year, with the exception of celebrating their relationship on an anniversary. Do you really feel special getting flowers and heart shaped candy boxes when you know that the only reason you are getting it is because it is socially expected? You know what would be truly special? Originality, spontaneity...
The best Valentine's gift I ever received was a pair of sneakers. That's thoughtful. Now, some people want the gooey lovely dovey attention, and that's great too. Personally, I'm happier with practical gifts. It tells me that I was listened to when maybe I didn't think I was heard. Talk about putting a smile on someone face. I can tell you who is smiling on Valentine's Day.... Hallmark!.. smiling all the way to the bank with all your hard-earned money spent on roses marked up 5x the normal amt. But if it works for you, fantastic; enjoy and gobble up all that romance you can get because the point is to celebrate love, devotion, relationships.... just remember, you don't need those typical V-Day items to show someone you love them.